We’re still reading bedtime books to our kids, ages 8 and 10. And we plan to keep it up as long as they go for it! Choosing books has gotten tricky, though. Some books are too scary for one, and some are too filled with girly stuff for another. Others drive me up the wall. Here’s a quick list of books we’ve done successfully, starting about 2 years ago:
- The Hobbit
- The Lord of the Rings (twice)
- Harry Potter, books 1 – 7
- Enid Blyton’s Famous Five Series (partway through)
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- Pippi Longstocking
- Jupiter Jones and the Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot
- Half Magic
- George and the Big Bang (and other books in same series by the Hawking family)
- Wayside School
- Percy Jackson (too scary)
- The Roman Mysteries (through book 3)
What to do next???
I’m thinking A Wrinkle in Time. But one of the kids already read the graphic novel version. Might fly, might not!
Here are some of the suggestions people have given me: Wringer (Jerry Spinelli), Journey to the River Sea (Eva Ibbotson), The Phantom Tollbooth, The Brave Little Toaster, The Streets Are Free, Brave Girl, The Witches (Roald Dahl), all of Roald Dahl’s books, The Chronicles of Narnia, and books by Garth Nix, Susan Cooper, and Phillip Pullman.